Publications - current and forthcoming
Listed below are our publications to date and papers pending. Clicking on a link will open the summary abstract. Choose your download option from there.
Code for many of our models is available.
Publications List By Year
- Fox C, Evans M, Lepora N, Pearson M, Hamm A and Prescott T (2011), Crunchbot: A mobile whiskered robot platform. , Springer LNCS proceedings of Towards Autonomous robotic systems (TAROS).
- Lepora N, Fox C, Evans M, Mitchinson B, Motiwala A, Sullivan J, Pearson M, Welsby J, Pipe T, Gurney K and Prescott T (2011), A general classifier of whisker data using stationary naïve Bayes: Application to BIOTACT robots, proceedings of Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems (TAROS), Sheffield, Springer LNCS 6856:13-23.
- Wilson, S. P. (2011), Figuring time by space: Representing sensory motion in cortical maps, PhD Thesis, University of Sheffield, UK.
- J.M. Lewis, J.M. Chambers, P. Redgrave, K.N. Gurney (2011), Flexible sequential action selection in a computational model of multiple basal ganglia-thalamocortical loops., 2011 Neuroscience Meeting Planner. Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience, 2011. Online.
- Lepora N, Blomeley C, Hoyland D, Bracci P, Overton P and Gurney K (2011), A simple method for characterizing passive and active neuronal properties applied to striatal neurons, European Journal of Neuroscience, 34(9):1390-1405.
- Jennifer M Lewis, Jonathan M Chambers, Peter Redgrave, Kevin Gurney (2011), A computational model of interconnected basal ganglia-thalamocortical loops for goal directed action sequences, BMC Neuroscience, 12(Suppl 1), 136.
- Caballero JA, Lepora NL, Gurney KN (2011), Sequential tests and biologically grounded multi-alternative decision making, BMC Neuroscience, 12(Suppl 1):P137.
- Arkley KP, Grant RA, Mitchinson B, Prescott TJ (2011), The relationship between whisking and locomotion in rats, SFN Washington, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 76.24.
- Prescott TJ, Grant RA, Arkley KP, Rankov V, Mitchinson B (2011), Did early mammals have active vibrissal touch? Evidence from a comparative study of exploratory whisking in rat, mouse and opossum (Monodelphis domestica), SFN Washington, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 76.23.
- Humphries, M. D. (2011), Spike-train communities: finding groups of similar spike trains, Journal of Neuroscience, 31: 2321-2336. [Code]
- Yates, D.J. and Stafford, T. (2011), Insights into the function and mechanism of saccadic decision making from targets scaled by an estimate of the cortical magnification factor, Cognitive Computation, 3,89-93.
- Tomkins, A., Humphries, M. D., Vasilaki, E., & Gurney, K. N. (2011), How Degrading Networks Can Increase Select Cognitive Functions, Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, Presented at the BC11 : Computational Neuroscience & Neurotechnology Bernstein Conference & Neurex Annual Meeting, Freiburg, Germany.
- Martin J. Pearson, Ben Mitchinson, J. Charles Sullivan, Anthony G. Pipe and Tony J. Prescott (2011), Biomimetic vibrissal sensing for robots, Philosophical Transactions Royal Society B, 366(1581):3085-3096.
- Ashvin Shah and Kevin Gurney (2011), Dopamine-mediated action discovery promotes optimal behavior ‘for free’, Twentieth Annual Computational Neuroscience Meeting (CNS*2011), Poster presentation. Abstract available in BMC Neuroscience 2011, 12 (Suppl 1):P138 (18 July 2011). .
- Wilson SP, Bednar JA, Prescott TJ, Mitchinson B (2011), Neural computation via neural geometry: A place code for inter-whisker timing in the barrel cortex?, SFN Washington, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 495.22.
- Tom Stafford, Leanne Ingram and Kevin N. Gurney (2011), Pieron’s Law holds during Stroop conflict: insights into the architecture of decision making, Cognitive Science 35, 1553–1566.
- Tony J. Prescott, Ben Mitchinson, Robyn A. Grant (2011), Vibrissal behavior and function, Scholarpedia, 6(10):6642.
- Wilson, S. P., Bednar JA, Prescott TJ, Mitchinson B (2011), Neural computation via neural geometry: A place code for inter-whisker timing in the barrel cortex?, PLoS Computational Biology, 7(10):e1002188.
- Tom Stafford and Kevin N. Gurney (2011), Additive factors do not imply discrete processing stages: a worked example using models of the Stroop task, Frontiers in Psychology, 2:287.
- Mitchinson B, Pearson M J, Pipe A G, Prescott T J (2011), Biomimetic robots as scientific models: A view from the whisker tip, in Neuromorphic and Brain-Based Robots: Trends and Perspectives, edited by Jeffery L. Krichmar and Hiroaki Wagatsuma, Cambridge University Press, 23-57.
- Ben Mitchinson, Robyn A. Grant, Kendra Arkley, Vladan Rankov, Igor Perkon and Tony J. Prescott (2011), Active vibrissal sensing in rodents and marsupials, Philosophical Transactions Royal Society B, 366(1581):3037-3048.
- Cope, A., & Gurney, K. N. (2011), A biologically based model of active vision, Proceedings of AISB’11 - Architectures for Active Vision, 13-20.
- Cope, A., Chambers, J., & Gurney, K. (2011), A Systems Integration Approach to Creating Embodied Biomimetic Models of Active Vision, Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems, 6856: 372-373 (Springer).
- Motiwala A, Fox C, Lepora N and Prescott T. (2011), Sensing with artificial tactile sensors: An investigation of spatio-temporal inference, LNCS proceedings of Towards Autonomous robotic systems, 6856/2011:253-264.