Publications - current and forthcoming
Listed below are our publications to date and papers pending. Clicking on a link will open the summary abstract. Choose your download option from there.
Code for many of our models is available.
Publications List By Year
- Alexander, T., Wilson, S. P., & Wilson, P. N. (2009), Blocking of spatial learning based on shape, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 35(3):694-708.
- Thirkettle, M., Scott-Samuel, N.E., and Benton, C.P. (2009), Dances with Gabors: Contour integration and form in biological motion, Journal of Vision, 9(8): 613, VSS Abstract Supplement.
- Mitchinson B, Grant R, Prescott T (2009), Neural discretization noise in motor patterning: Insights from the vibrissal system, SFN Chicago, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 859.11.
- Gurney, K.N. (2009), Reverse Engineering the Vertebrate Brain: Methodological Principles for a Biologically Grounded Programme of Cognitive Modelling, Cognitive Computation, 1 (1) 29-41.
- Gurney, K.N., M.D. Humphries, and P. Redgrave (2009), Cortico-striatal plasticity for action-outcome learning using spike timing dependent eligibility, BMC Neuroscience, 10, (1) 135.
- Wood, R,, M.D. Humphries, and K.N. Gurney (2009), Does striatum support competitive dynamics? A test of this hypothesis using a biologically realistic model of the striatal microcircuit, BMC Neuroscience, 10, page 317.
- Stuart P Wilson, Ben Mitchinson, Martin Pearson, James A Bednar and Tony J Prescott (2009), Learning cortical representations from multiple whisker inputs, BMC Neuroscience, 10(Suppl 1):P334.
- Charles W. Fox, Ben Mitchinson, Martin J. Pearson, Anthony G. Pipe, Tony J. Prescott (2009), Contact type dependency of texture classification in a whiskered mobile robot, Autonomous Robots, 26(4):223-239.
- Prescott TJ, Grant RA, Mitchinson B (2009), Vibrissal movement in the marsupial Monodelphis Domestica: A clue to the evolution of mammalian sensorimotor cortex?, SFN Chicago, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 562.19.
- Grant RA, Ramesh T, Mitchinson B, Prescott TJ (2009), Effects of neurodegeneration on whisking behavior in the sod1 G93A mouse, SFN Chicago, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 364.7.
- Stafford, T., Gurney, K.N. & Ingram, L. (2009), Pieron’s Law holds in conditions of response conflict, Proceedings of the 31th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, (pp 2238-2243, eds N.A. Taatgen & H. van Rijn). Cognitive Science Society.
- Bolado-Gomez, R., J.M. Chambers, and K.N. Gurney (2009), The basal ganglia and the 3-factor learning rule: reinforcement learning during operant conditioning, Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, Proceedings of BCCN Conference.
- Eiser, J.R., Stafford, T. and Fazio, R.H. (2009), Prejudiced learning: A connectionist account, British Journal of Psychology, 100, 399–413.
- Fox, C. W., Mitchinson, B., Pearson, M. J., Pipe, A. G., Prescott, T. J. (2009), Behavioral dependency of texture classification in a whiskered mobile robot, Autonomous Robots, 26(4), 223-239.
- Humphries, M. D., Wood, R. and Gurney, K. (2009), Dopamine-modulated dynamic cell assemblies generated by the GABAergic striatal microcircuit, Neural Networks, 22:1174-1188. [Code]
- Gurney, K., A. Hussain, J. Chambers, and R. Abdullah (2009), Controlled and automatic processing in animals and machines with application to autonomous vehicle control, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 5768 LNCS, 198-207, Springer.
- Gurney, K.N. (2009), Computational Models in Neuroscience: From membranes to Robots, Computational Modelling in Behavioural Neuroscience: Closing the gap between neurophysiology and behaviour, 107-136, Advances in Behavioural Brain Science. East Sussex, UK: Psychology Press.
- M. J. Pearson, A. G. Pipe, J. Welsby, B. Mitchinson, S. Anderson and T. J. Prescott (2009), Spatial Cognition and Representation through Active Touch (SCRATCHbot), Barrels 2009, Chicago, USA.
- Lowe, R., Humphries, M. & Ziemke, T. (2009), The dual-route hypothesis: Evaluating a neurocomputational model of fear conditioning in rats, Connection Science, 21: 15-37.
- Wilson SP, Mitchinson B, Pearson M, Bednar JA, Prescott TJ (2009), Learning multi-whisker spatial-temporal cortical receptive fields from robotic whisker input, SFN Chicago, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 174.4.
- Thirkettle, M., Benton C. P., and Scott-Samuel N.E. (2009), Contributions of form, motion and task to biological motion perception., Journal of Vision, 9:1-11.
- Prescott, T. J., Pearson, M., Mitchinson, B., Sullivan, J. C. W., Pipe, A. G. (2009), Whisking with robots: From rat vibrissae to biomimetic technology for active touch, IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, 16(3), 42-50.
- Humphries, M.D., N. Lepora, R. Wood, and K.N. Gurney (2009), Reduced models of striatal neurons: dopamine modulation and dynamics, BMC Neuroscience, 10, (1) 321.
- Eiser, J.R., Stafford, T and Fazio, Russell H. (2009), Prejudiced learning: A connectionist account, British Journal of Psychology, 100(2):399-413.
- Lepora, N,, P. Overton, and K.N. Gurney (2009), Efficient current-based optimization techniques for parameter estimation in multi-compartment neuronal models, BMC Neuroscience, 10 (1) 247.
- Humphries, M. D., Lepora, N., Wood, R. and Gurney, K. (2009), Capturing dopaminergic modulation and bimodal membrane behaviour of striatal medium spiny neurons in accurate, reduced models, Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, 3:26. [Code]
- Cope, A., J.M. Chambers, and K.N. Gurney (2009), Object-based biasing for attentional control of gaze: a comparison of biologically plausible mechanisms, BMC Neuroscience, 10, (1) 19.
- Robyn Anne Grant, Ben Mitchinson, Charles W. Fox, and Tony J. Prescott (2009), Active touch sensing in the rat: Anticipatory and regulatory control of whisker movements during surface exploration, Journal of Neurophysiology, 101:862-874.
- Lepora N, Porrill J, Evinger LC, Yeo C and Dean P (2009), Recruitment in Retractor Bulbi muscle during eyeblink conditioning: EMG Analysis and Common-drive model, Journal of Neurophysiology.
- Eiser, J.R., Stafford, T., Henneberry, J. , and Catney, P. (2009), “Trust me, I’m a Scientist (Not a Developer)”: Perceived Expertise and Motives as Predictors of Trust in Assessment of Risk from Contaminated Land, Risk Analysis, 29(2), 288-297.
- Fox, C., Humphries, M., Mitchinson, B., Kiss, T,; Somogyvari, Z. & Prescott, T. (2009), Technical integration of hippocampus, basal ganglia and physical models for spatial navigation, Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, 3:6.