Publications - current and forthcoming
Listed below are our publications to date and papers pending. Clicking on a link will open the summary abstract. Choose your download option from there.
Code for many of our models is available.
Publications List By Year
- Gurney K.N. (2006), Neural networks for perceptual processing: from simulation tools to theories. , Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci , 362:339-353..
- Humphries, M. D., Gurney, K. & Prescott, T. J. (2006), The brainstem reticular formation is a small-world, not scale-free, network, Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 273:503-511. [Code]
- Martin J. Pearson, I. Gilhespy, C. Melhuish, B. Mitchinson, M. Nibouche, A.G. Pipe, T.J. Prescott (2006), Further work on a biomimetic haptic sensor, proceedings of Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems (TAROS), Guildford, UK, 160-167.
- Redgrave, P. & Gurney, K. (2006), The short-latency dopamine signal: a role in discovering novel actions? , Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 7:967-975..
- Pearson, M., Melhuish, C., Mitchinson, B. and Prescott, T. (2006), Hardware Based Brain Stem Sub-Nucleus Model for Brain-Based Robotic Experimentation, Computational NeuroScience (CNS), Edinburgh 16-20 July.
- Humphries, M. D. & Prescott, T. J. (2006), Distributed action selection by a brainstem neural substrate: An embodied evaluation, From Animals to Animats 9: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Simulation of Adaptive Behaviour, pp. 199-210, Springer-Verlag: Berlin.
- Prescott, T. J., Newton, L. D., Mir, N. U., and Parks, R. W. (2006), A new dissimilarity measure for finding semantic structure in category fluency data with implications for understanding memory organization in schizophrenia, Neuropsychology, 20:685-99.
- Gurney K.N, Prescott AJ, Redgrave P (2006), A Theoretical Treatment of Basal Banglia Function, Nova Science Pub Inc., (Bezard E, ed).
- Mitchinson, B. Pearson, M., Melhuish, C., and Prescott, T.J. (2006), A model of sensorimotor co-ordination in the rat whisker system, proceedings of Ninth International Conference on Simulation of Adaptive Behaviour, Rome, Springer LNAI 4095:77-88.
- Redgrave, P., and K.N. Gurney (2006), Timing is everything: Dopamine signals in temporal difference learning, 15thth Annual Computational Neuroscience Meeting, Edinburgh.
- Wood, R., M.D Humphries, P. Overton, R. Stewart, and K.N. Gurney (2006), Selection in a model of striatum with fast spiking interneurons, 15thth Annual Computational Neuroscience Meeting, Edinburgh.
- Martin J. Pearson, Chris Melhuish, Anthony G. Pipe, Ben Mitchinson, Ian Gilhespy, Mokhtar Nibouche and Tony J. Prescott (2006), Whiskerbot: A Haptic Sensory Array for Mobile Robotics, proceedings of Adaptation in Artificial and Biological Systems (AISB’06), Bristol, UK, Volume 2.
- Bogacz, R., and K.N. Gurney (2006), The Brain Implements Optimal Decision Making between Alternative Actions, 28th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society.
- T. J. Prescott, B. Mitchinson, M. J. Pearson, I. Gilhespy, M. Nibouche, A. G. Pipe, C. Melhuish, K. Gurney, P. Redgrave (2006), A robot model of sensorimotor co-ordination in the rat whisker system, SFN Atlanta, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 145.13.
- Fox C.W., Pearson M., Mitchinson B.. Pipe T., and Prescott T.J. (2006), Simple features for texture classification from robot whisker strains, Barrels 2006, abstract in Somatosensory and Motor Research 24(3):139-162.
- Martin J. Pearson, I.Gilhespy, C.Melhuish, B.Mitchinson, M.Nibouche, A.G. Pipe, T.J. Prescott (2006), A Biologically inspired FPGA based implementation of a tactile sensory system for object recognition and texture discrimination, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications (FPL), Madrid, ISBN 1-4244-0312-X.
- Humphries, M.D, and K.N. Gurney (2006), A means to an end: validating models by fitting experimental data, Neurocomputing , 20 (10, 1892-1896.
- Humphries, M. D., Stewart, R. D. & Gurney, K. (2006), A physiologically plausible model of action selection and oscillatory activity in the basal ganglia, Journal of Neuroscience, 26(50):12921-42. [Code]
- Stafford, T. & Gurney, K.N. (2006), Computational Models of Cognition, An Introduction to Cognitive Psychology: Processes and Disorders. Second Edition, Ed. David Groome. Hove, UK: Psychology Press..
- Pearson, M., M. Nibouche, I. Gilhespy, K.N. Gurney, C. Melhuish, B. Mitchinson, and A.J. Pipe (2006), A Hardware Based Implementation of a Tactile Sensory System for Neuromorphic Signal Processing Applications, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP). Toulouse.
- Lepora N, Yeo C, Evinger L, Porrill J, Dean P (2006), Simple recruitment model describes control of conditioned nictitating membrane responses by retractor bulbi muscle, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 32:345.16.
- Bogacz, R., K.N. Gurney, and T Larsen (2006), The brain implements optimal decision making mechanisms, 15th Annual Computational Neuroscience Meeting, Edinburgh.
- Prescott, T. J., Montes-Gonzalez, F., Gurney, K., Humphries, M. D. and Redgrave, P. (2006), A robot model of the basal ganglia: Behavior and intrinsic processing, Neural Networks, 19:31-61.